So today I’m boosting up your writer minds with 7 quotes that will make you want to write again!
Let’s get started!
1. Someone out there needs your writing. Keep going.
You don’t know who yet, but someone in this world needs your book. Write it. Write it for them.
2. Write hard and clear about what hurts ~ Ernest Hemingway
If it doesn’t matter to you, it doesn’t matter to the readers. Writing exactly what hurts it exactly what will punch the readers in the gut.
3. Here’s the thing: The book that will most change your life is the book you write ~ Seth Godin
This is one of my favorite writing quotes, and actually one of my favorite blog post that I’ve written was based on something like this.
If you write about something something personal, something soul-deep about life and things you’ve learned…it’s what makes your book become a best-seller.
4. First drafts don’t have to be perfect. They just have to be written.
Perfectionist Block. Your first draft can (and will be!) trash. But be okay with that! Make it perfect LATER. Write it out so that you have something to make perfect later.
5. An opening line should invite the reader to begin the story. It should say: Listen. Come in here. You want to know about this. ~ Stephen King
I’ve talked about hooks before and I LOVE them. Because of hooks, I have been snatched straight up and plunged into a book without my consent before. They’re really the bait for reeling in the fish.
6. I wrote my first novel because I wanted to read it. ~ Toni Morrison
I once read a section in a writing book that said: Make a list of everything you love well done in books. Character deaths…betrayals…love triangles, etc. After you write the list, guess what the author of the book told you to do? He essentially said, “Now include all of that in your book.“
7. You only learn to be a better writer by actually writing. ~ Doris Lessing
And on that note…GO WRITE!
*So sorry I missed a post last week! Unfortunately I caught a cold (cold, not covid!) and had no energy to post. I’m back though!
*Also, the Add On Sentence Party is still going, and going crazy! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far!
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any questions or thoughts, leave a comment down below.
Thanks for reading!